The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One Man's Junk is this Woman's Treasure

There's this little roadside junk shop near the entrance to our subdivision. For almost four years I have driven by it almost daily and always been a little intrigued... what's inside, what's that, ooohhh, I wonder how much they want for that... so many questions, so much junk, so much shopping ecstasy!! So, a couple of weeks ago, I drove past with Emily and saw a set of four completely broken down wicker rocking chairs... and I fellll innnnn looovvveeee! They are so beautiful! I've always loved wicker because it reminds me of my sweet Grandmother. I inherited a set of my Grandmother's wicker furniture after my Daddy passed away in 2002, but, in my sadness and haste, sold it in an estate sale. (Word to the wise: never take irreversible action while in the throes of bereavement!) I've yearned for a set of wicker since then - but I don't want the new resin-type wicker - I want real, old wicker. I had to pull over and inquire about these chairs. They were in bad shape, and one of them I'm pretty sure is not salvageable... but the other three! They are beautiful. Solidly constructed, large-scaled, very imposing! I made up my mind I had to have them and bargained my way to $40 for the entire set! Caroline and I have already repaired and refurbished one of them. She's such a helper. The other two will have to wait, but at least we've finished one!



"I collect antiques. Why? Because they're beautiful." ~ Broderick Crawford

No comments:

Post a Comment