The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Monday, August 9, 2010

School Girl!!!!

Man... I am not sure how to start this post except that I really can't believe that this day is here... not only here, but now has come and passed. Caroline started school today! In the past (as in when I was a child), school started when you were five and you began kindergarten... which was a healthy half-day long. Now students are now expected to begin "school" at the tender age of four. I find that a little discomfiting, but these are the times in which we live. For the longest time, I told myself (and anyone else who would listen) that Caroline would not attend Pre-K... I was (and am) perfectly happy with Miss Kayce, her longtime caregiver, and, honestly, I was afraid of what she might learn in Pre-K that I might not exactly want her to learn, if you know what I mean. I work in an elementary school, remember, things are not exactly what they used to be!

In spite of my misgivings, I decided to enroll Caroline in the McDonough Presbyterian Children's Academy for her Pre-K year. I know the director, and many of my friends' children have attended there to rave reviews. Better yet - Coan and Caroline are in the same class! We dropped in to Open House last Thursday and felt very comfortable and impressed by the facility, teachers, and the overall warm feeling of the Academy and I am positive we've made the right choice.

I dropped Caroline off at 8:45 this morning and she was the bravest, most eager little school girl I've ever seen. I admit to shedding more than a few tears as I walked back out to my car, but they were happy tears. We've got an amazing and beautiful growing girl. I'm so proud of her! After school, Miss Amy brought Caroline and Coan back to Miss Kayce's house for lunch and nap before I could get off work and pick her up. Caroline's first words to Miss Kayce about her day, "Miss Kayce, school is awesome!!" Yay, Caroline!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment