The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Friday, August 26, 2011

Atlanta Summer Tradition

If you are a child of Metro Atlanta, then you more than likely grew up making many a summer evening outing to Stone Mountain Park to picnic on the lawn and enjoy the Laser Light Show on the carving etched into the side of the mountain. I can't count the number of times my family made the trek through the East Gate and over the bumpy path that led to the lawn. After all, I was born in Decatur and my parents brought me home to a little old rented house in the Stone Mountain Village. My mother, being without a vehicle as my father took it in to work every day teaching classes at nearby Emory and attending Emory Law School in the evenings, would strap me in the baby seat on the back of her bike and we would spend long, leisurely days inside the park - eating raisins and drinking apple juice! This Stone Mountain tradition continued throughout my childhood, adolescence, and adulthood, and Stone Mountain is one of the most pleasant place-memories I have. I love it. Everything about Stone Mountain is dear to me. As a mom myself now I love taking my own children to the park to enjoy some of the same sights and attractions that I, myself, have enjoyed for so very long.
 We took a neighborhood field trip to the park to watch the Laser Show recently and it did not disappoint! It's been revamped and is all new with the latest bells and whistles. It still retained its original charm, but was much more fun to watch! Being the conservative preservationist that I am, I hope that the new and improved Laser Show does not obliterate the charm and campiness of the old show... that remains to be seen, but we did have a great time. I hope that the Laser Show will be a part of our little family's traditions as it has been a part of mine!

"Among the delights of summer were picnics to the woods." ~ Georg Brandes

No comments:

Post a Comment