The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hooray for Hollywood

It was a series of firsts -- I finally took the plunge and flew out to Los Angeles to visit Kathleen and see her little corner of the world. I have wanted to go for a long time, but have just never been able to make it happen before this summer. I was a little... okay, a lot... nervous about flying alone, but with the help of my dear friend, Kendra, who was able to get me a non-rev ticket, I made it through all of the check-ins, security lines, gates, and trams! It was a long flight, but I had my Kindle and was able to keep myself occupied. I even watched the in-flight movie. I know, I know, flying is no big deal, but this was only my third flight ever - and definitely the longest - and the only time I had ever flown alone. I must admit I feel very cosmopolitan after it all!
 So, the flight was an adventure, but it was not the highlight of my experience! I absolutely loved Los Angeles, and  I completely understand why my sister lives there. It's a very interesting city. I know that I was only there for four days, but I feel like I got to at least sample the "vibe" and it was very cool. The weather was gorgeous and we had the best time just hanging out and doing the things that we enjoy - drinking wine, eating good food, shopping, beach bathing, watching TV while vegging out on the couch,spending time outdoors, and laughing. It was the most fun I have had in a long time and Kathleen spoiled me totally rotten with her wonderful hospitality! I can't wait to go back to visit. Some of the places we visited included Roberts Ranch and Solstice Canyon, Little Next Door Restaurant, The Grove, The Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust, The LaBrea Tar Pits, Lechuza Beach, Ken Paves Salon, and so many other places that I can't even recall. I had a blast. I want to go back.

Lunch at La Piazza at the Grove

Driving to the beach


Hiking in Solstice Canyon

Malibu Beach - aaahhhhh...

Right after my salon session

Mid-Afternoon snack at Stark Bar at LACMA
Kathleen's pool

The view from Kathleen's balcony

"Hooray for Hollywood
That screwy ballyhooey Hollywood
Where any office boy or young mechanic can be a panic
With just a good looking pan
And any barmaid can be a star maid
If she dances with or without a fan."
~Johnny Mercer 

No comments:

Post a Comment