The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

But, Mommy, I'm not tired!

Caroline has never been a good sleeper. It took six months for her to sleep "through the night" - and, even then, I think she maybe slept seven hours. I will never forget that night because she fought sleep so long and so hard and it was heartbreaking not to go in there and pick her up. Still, five years later, she is the same! She only sleeps well when she is with Travis or me. If she starts off in her room it's with lots of tears and she very, very rarely ends up staying in her room all night. Trav and I are resigned to the fact that we are just in that phase of life and won't get to sleep in the same bed night after night, all night long, for a very long time! That's okay, though, because there is just something very primal and instinctual about sleeping in the same bed with her. I sleep better, she sleeps better - and Trav sleeps better because he's snoring away in the man cave!!! There's no woman to kick him awake and make him roll over while he saws logs! I do love sleeping with her, though. She's so warm and snuggly and she talks in her sleep! One night, I thought I would melt with love when she said, in the middle of the night, in her sleep, "I love you, Mommy." Yep, I do like sleeping with her!! Since she doesn't sleep all that much by herself, I love it when she "accidentally" falls asleep on the couch or in her bed... or anywhere, for that matter. On these occasions, I like to take a picture of my little Sleeping Beauty. I would just love to know what she is dreaming!

"Sleeping alone, except under doctor's orders, does much harm. 
Children will tell you how lonely it is sleeping alone. 
If possible, you should always sleep with someone you love." 
                                                                ~ Marlene Dietrich

No comments:

Post a Comment