The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How could you not love this job?

I have one of the coolest jobs in the world... and, on top of that, I get to do it in one of the absolute best elementary schools in the country. My students are the kindest, gentlest, most intelligent kiddos anywhere. It took me a long time to get truly comfortable in my new job (and I still have moments where I totally doubt myself and my abilities!), but I think I have finally arrived at a place and state of mind that allows me to enjoy the positive aspects of what I do every day instead of letting the negative parts (and, believe me, there are many, many negative sides to being involved in public education - it truly scares me sometimes to witness the way that things are changing in our nation's schools) bring me down. I've enjoyed this year so much already and every day I am grateful for work that allows me to draw on the best parts of myself, work with willing young minds, and be surrounded by books and my little girl! I captured this sweet moment one day last week in the library. Just look at those precious little girls reading their library books! These quiet moments are definitely rare in the library - we stay very, very busy, but it's instances like this that make me very aware of just how lucky I am to do the work I do!

"Children don't read to find their identity, to free themselves from guilt, to quench the thirst for rebellion or to get rid of alienation.  They have no use for psychology.... They still believe in God, the family, angels, devils, witches, goblins, logic, clarity, punctuation, and other such obsolete stuff.... When a book is boring, they yawn openly.  They don't expect their writer to redeem humanity, but leave to adults such childish illusions."
  ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

No comments:

Post a Comment