The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Monday, November 21, 2011

The Monster by Jeff Moss

Each year, Henry County sponsors a Literacy Day event for elementary school children. There is an essay writing contest and a poetry recitation contest. In kindergarten, they really only focus on the poetry part (they are not really writing essays yet, if you know what I mean!), and Caroline chose the poem "The Monster" by Jeff Moss. Here is a link to the text. At first I was daunted because I really didn't think she (or I) would have the patience to tackle such a long (for a five-year-old) poem. I knew that she could do it, i just wasn't convinced that she would do it. Huge difference. Huge. So we practiced and practiced and practiced. I learned the poem and it still gets stuck in my head sometimes. When the big day came for her to recite it in front of her class and teachers, she did very well and was one of the class winners. She then went on to the kindergarten grade level competition and won second place! To say I am proud would be an understatement. Way to go, Caroline! It will be the first of many academic victories for you, we are sure!



 "Yes, every night he found my toes, and that was such a bore, 
he left for good, and now he doesn't bug me anymore." 
~ "The Monster" by Jeff Moss

No comments:

Post a Comment