The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Most Magical Place on Earth

I have never thought of myself as one of those "Disney Fanatics." Actually, I always kind of sniffed haughtily at their exuberance over something as false and trivial as a ridiculously overblown theme park. Yes, I was more evolved than they... possessing the innate capability to appreciate such obscure earthly pleasures as my dear old windswept, unpeopled beaches draped with Spanish Moss, laden with driftwood, and lacking in anything material or unnatural. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. I do love Jekyll Island and the even more deserted Cumberland, Sapelo, and Ossabaw, but I have finally contracted the Disney bug and I shamelessly daydream about the next time that we will be able to go. I never thought I would say (type?) those words, but they are true and I am a self-professed Disney convert. Would I trade my Jekyll trips for Disney trips? No way. Jekyll is still my destination of choice year-in, year-out, season-in, season-out, but every several years or so, we are going to have to take a trip to Mickey's. Our trip this past February was one of the most fun, fancy-free, and, yes, magical, times we have ever spent as a family. The trip was a gift from Grandmama and Granddaddy. Grandmama has wanted to take the grandchildren to Disney World for some time. She wanted to make sure that Madison got to go before she was too old to enjoy the magic of the first trip and that Emily would be old enough to really understand all that was going on. Bingo! It was the perfect time.
We stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter inside the Disney resort, so we had great access to transportation and all of the parks. Our stay was for three full days and so we decided to do two whirlwind days at Magic Kingdom and then take a full day to enjoy Animal Kingdom. We had dinner reservations each night at some really cute places. Travis and I had taken Caroline to Disney World when she was two, but we had  been on the serious shoestring budget and didn't do dinners out, so that was a treat. It was a good way to see parts of the entire resort that you might not get to see otherwise. My favorite restaurant was the Rain Forest Cafe inside Animal Kingdom - which is actually a chain and not owned or operated by the Walt Disney Company - but it was really unique and interesting.
Our days inside the parks were absolutely jampacked with activities! I was the designated tour builder and itinerary warden. I spent several days creating schedules for us so that we would get to see and do everything we possibly could. I will tell you that going into any Disney Park without an agenda is not smart! There are so many things to do and it can be overwhelming. One must do her homework! Our schedules were very helpful and, yes, they do tend to squelch spontaneity, but when you have spent the insane amounts of money you have, spontaneity can take a backseat to making sure you get the most bang for your buck. AND WE DID! WOOHOO! It was so much fun!!!!! We conquered it all, baby!
I have a ton more pictures, but I will share these. So many memories! So much fun! Can't wait to go back in 29 more months. Yes, I am already counting down!
Meeting Mickey and Minnie

Daisy and the girls on Main Street, USA

Goofy and the Gang at Camp Minnie-Mickey

Come along with me on a Magic Carpet Ride! Watch out for the spitting camel!

She finally got her Minnie!

We had to search high and low for a "Lady," but we found her!

"When you wish upon a star/Makes no difference who you are/
Anything your heart desires will come to you/
If your heart is in your dream/No request is too extreme/
When you wish upon a star as dreamers do/
Fate is kind/She brings to those who love/
The sweet fulfillment of their secret longing/
Like a bolt out of the blue/Fate steps in and sees you through/
When you wish upon a star/Your dreams come true."
 ~Ned Washington, When You Wish Upon a Star, Pinocchio, 1940

No comments:

Post a Comment