The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Will You Be My Valentine?

Caroline and Coan have been friends ever since they were nine months and twelve months old, respectively. That's when Caroline began going to Mrs. Kayce's every day while Trav and I worked. We didn't know it at the time, but finding Mrs. Kayce would end up being one of the greatest blessings our family would ever receive. Not a day goes by that I am not thankful for her love and care! Most people have to compromise their children's happiness or welfare for the sake of their jobs (I mean, you can't work without some kind of childcare) and options are limited. We were just lucky to have found her and been able to hang on to her as long as we have. I digress. Caroline and Coan's friendship has always been strangely odd and uniquely close. Almost from the very beginning, they have been magnetically attracted to each other. They couldn't be any more different, but they have so much fun together and they seem to understand and APPRECIATE each other more than any two children I have ever seen. Now that they are almost seven and don't get to see each other on a daily basis for going on two years, their affection for each other have not seemed to dim at all. They began calling each other "boyfriend" and girlfriend" years ago and they still do. Caroline may have a crush on a little boy in her class from time to time and when she tells me about it, I have to ask her each time, "What about Coan?," to which she always swiftly replies, "No, mom, I only LIKE _________ (insert random boy from class's name), Coan is my BOYFRIEND." And she says it with conviction. Like I should just know that. They are adorable. I wonder when this will wear off. Who knows? He may be the great love of her life :) For Valentine's Day this year, Coan presented Caroline with roses. She was so proud of them (and he was proud to present them!).

Young Love

"Oh, if it be to choose and call thee mine, love, 
thou art every day my Valentine!"
  ~Thomas Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment