The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Future Entomologist


During my senior year at UGA, I had to face the detestable fact that I still had one more science course left in order to fulfill all of my degree requirements. I was not a great science student and wished the requirement would magically transform into an extra English course. I even contemplated submitting a request to the Dean of Franklin College in an attempt to convince him that a course in the Naturalist Writers could expose me to a love of and appreciation for the great outdoors and the biological underpinnings of ecosystems, photosynthesis, and cellular respiration as much as a Biology course. After all, has there ever been a greater outdoor laboratory than Walden Pond?

To make a long story short, I asked around and the overwhelming opinion on campus was to take Dr. Karl Espelie's Intro to Entomology course... the study of insects. I heard that all the football players took the course... and, no offense to the football players, but we all know what that's supposed to mean. So, I registered for the course and prepared to be bored for the rest of the semester.

I was so wrong! Dr. Espelie is a genius and, in all honesty, REALLY loves bugs!!! I learned so much about the environment, the earth, even our economy, and - of course - more than I ever desired to know about bugs...ahem... excuse me, INSECTS! The class really was amazing and interesting and completely fun.

So, ever since then, I have had a deep appreciation for bugs (with the exception of the cockroach - Order Blattodea) and think twice before I squoosh one. Caroline loves them, too, and today we decided to go hunt caterpillars. You know the big hairy ones from when we were all kids...

We got our Mason jar all ready, grabbed her magnifying glass, and set out. We found three. They are going to sleep in Caroline's room tonight. I just hope I don't wake up and find an empty Mason Jar. Ick.

Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as
valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar.
~Bradley Millar

No comments:

Post a Comment