The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Trip To Truvy's



One of my oldest and dearest friends, Angela Hoover, is also my hairdresser... she's also one of my funniest friends. We affectionately call her salon "Truvy's" after the hair salon from Steel Magnolias. Going to Angela's is always a hilarious event - I am talking laugh-til-your-cheeks-hurt hilarious. Another of my best friends, Amanda, also usually comes along and we all relax, catch up, get pretty, and have lunch. We've all been friends since high school and have seen each other through thick and thin. Between us, we have five children. Angela has two girls, Molly and Emily, and Amanda has a little boy named Brady. Caroline and Molly are buddies, and Angela's Emily and Brady were born three weeks apart, so there's never a dull moment when we are all together.

I have been cutting Caroline's hair her entire life... well, there was that one trip to Great Clips - but I'm not going there right now... anyway... she is terrified of having someone else come near her with a pair of scissors (although it really is me that she should be afraid of with a pair of scissors and hair). I have been trying to reason with her for the longest time in order to convince her to let Angela give her a real, professional haircut. She will not even hear of it! The funny thing is that she adores Angela, loves going with me to watch me get my hair cut, and always talks about how she's going to have hers cut, as well, "next time."

I took Caroline along with me this week for my regular haircut and lunch date - and she let Angela cut her hair! She was very resolute about it (kind of like when Shelby got her hair chopped off in the movie!). I was so proud of her! She stood perfectly still while Angela worked and the haircut turned out great! Yay Caroline! You are now a member of the Truvy Club!

Hair is vitally personal to children. They weep vigorously when it is cut for the first time; no matter how it grows, bushy, straight or curly, they feel they are being shorn of a part of their personality.
~Charles Chaplin, My Autobiography, 1964

No comments:

Post a Comment