The Thomas Family Blog

"And wherever we are, Home is there, too."
~ Jack Johnson

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sojourn in Savannah

As most of you know, I am a Savannah girl. Just dump me off smack dab in the middle of downtown, deposit my fanny anywhere on Tybee, set me adrift on Lazaretto Creek, or give me a cold drink, a book, and leave me be on a blanket in Forsyth Park. McDonough is merely temporary exile. One day I will return to Savannah - permanently - even if it's in a pine box! Caroline takes great pride in being able to say she is "from" Savannah (she was born there) and she enjoys our visits as much as I do these days. She squeals with excitement at her first glimpse of Spanish Moss, oohs and aahs at the old buildings, and inhales deeply when we cross the Bull River Bridge and smell the salty marsh air. (Okay, so she may be simply mimicking me - but I hope it sticks and she loves the Old City as much as I do!)

We took a much needed trip to Savannah last week. We stayed at the Carey Hilliard's Sauce Plant courtesy of our wonderful friends, the Stanfords. The "Tree House," as it is affectionately called, is an apartment that the Hilliard family carved out of the building that used to house the BBQ sauce plant and also served the restaurant's dock directly across the street on the Wilmington River. We had the best time hanging out at all of our old haunts. Emily soaked up the sun during her first visit to the beach, Mama ate waaaaayyyyy too many raw oysters after being denied them over the past year, Daddy shopped for boats, and Caroline even had the pleasure of driving one of the horse-drawn carriages all by herself (she charmed an off-duty tour guide into giving her a two-block ride!). Savannah - thank you for the memories! This was one trip we'll never forget!

There isn't any question but that, being in Savannah, being a loafer here, seeing red rivers and red lands, starts something down inside me singing again.
~ Sherwood Anderson

1 comment:

  1. Would you believe I'm in Savannah right now?? About to head home! I love it as a tourist! ---trawol

    ReplyDelete